What to do when cigarette cravings hit
When a cigarette craving hits, it may be tough to resist the urge to smoke. Especially in the first weeks of your quit. One way to manage your withdrawal symptoms, in addition to nicotine replacements like Nicorette and NicoDerm CQ, is simply to distract yourself. Do something else that takes your mind off smoking, helps lessen stress, or puts you in a situation where you really can’t smoke.
Resist the Urge Checklist
- Go somewhere you can’t smoke - like the mall or a movie theatre.
- Play a game to keep your hands busy.
- Phone a friend
- Take a walk
- Exercise - it can help relieve stress.
- Take a catnap.
- Check some errands off of your to-do list.
- Do a little therapeutic home cleaning
- Remember your “why” – the reason you decided to quit smoking
- Take a relaxing shower or soothing bath
- Picture the future, smoke-free you and bask in how much better you’ll feel once you achieve your goal.
Follow these tips to help when a craving strikes. For even more support, you may consider registering for our email program. We’ll deliver quitting advice and even more inspiration right to your inbox.